CHOCOLATE WAFFLES WITH GLAZED PEARS
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 300g sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp natural vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- 125g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 pears, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup raw sugar
- 75g cold unsalted butter, grated
- maple syrup and berries, to serve
1 Preheat oven to 220°C. Sift the flour, cocoa and brown sugar into a large bowl. Combine the yolks, sour cream, milk, oil and vanilla in a second bowl and whisk until smooth. Whip into the flour mixture.
2 Put the egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl and whisk to stiff peaks, then fold in gently. Cook in a preheated waffle iron to make four waffles.
3 Meanwhile, arrange the pear slices on a lined oven tray, then scatter with raw sugar and butter. Bake for 20 minutes, until beginning to caramelise. Serve with waffles, maple syrup and berries.